Four-year Grammar School
The PRIGO Language and Humanities Grammar School is a secondary school which initiated its activity in 1993 as the first non-state Grammar School in Ostrava and the surrounding area.
The school provides education in the six-year and four-year Grammar School.
Four-year Grammar School – Grammar School programme 79-41-K/41
The programme of the general four-year Grammar School focuses on gifted students who have decided to start studying at a high school after completing the compulsory education at the elementary school. These are students who want to have the typical Grammar-school education but who also want to be specialised in humanities and languages.
The curriculum and the school educational programme can be downloaded here (available in the Czech language only).
Admission requirements for the 1st round for full-time education
An applicant can obtain a maximum of 166 points for all parts of the entrance examination: a maximum of 100 points for the state examination and a maximum of 66 points for the school part of the examination. The pupils attending the first round of the entrance examinations will be ranked according to the results of both parts of the examinations. Those students placed between the 1st position and the position corresponding to the ranking of the student placed last within the capacity announced for the 1st round of the admissions for a given subject of study will be admitted to studies. Also those students who have gained the same number of points as the last listed applicant will be admitted to studies as well. The secondary evaluation for determining the order, in case of agreement of the point evaluation, is the average benefit according to point 1 (criteria for recognition of the school entrance exam).
The entrance examination is composed from the evaluation of the following parts:
1) result of the state entrance examination (a maximum of 100 points),
2) result of the school entrance examination (max. 66 points).
The joint (state) entrance examination consists of two didactic tests a) Czech language and literature (a sample for the 6-year secondary grammar school here and 4-year secondary grammar school here) and b) Mathematics (a sample for the 6-year secondary grammar school here and 4-year secondary grammar school here). Applicants receive a maximum of 50 points for the individual didactic tests. The highest possible number of points for the state examination is therefore 100 points if the applicant responds correctly to all the questions in both tests. The school entrance examination consists of the General Educational Prerequisites (samples for the 6-year secondary grammar school here and the 4-year secondary grammar school here). Depending on the test result, applicants can obtain up to 66 points. The information on the preparatory course for the school entrance examination can be found here.
Recognition of the school entrance examination
An applicant may be exempt from attending the entrance examination, receiving the maximum of 66 points without the need to pass the test of general studies requirements, if at least one of the following criteria is met. If there is a request for the recognition of the school part of the entrance examination according to the following points 4 to 8, enclosing a statutory declaration with attachments is a necessary condition (to download from here). The statutory declaration is an integral part of the application.
Criteria for the recognition of the school entrance examination
Four-year Grammar School
1) the average school results from all subjects in the eighth and the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.4 (The school results from 2nd half of the 8th grade of the school year 2020/21 and the 1st half of the 9th grade of the school year 2021/22 are documented)
2) the average school results from all subjects in the eighth or the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.3 (The school results from 2nd half of the 8th grade of the school year 2020/21 and the 1st half of the 9th grade of the school year 2021/22 are documented)
3) the average school results of at least the three following subjects (Czech, English, History) in the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.1 and the total school results from all subjects in the eighth and the ninth year did not exceed the value of 1.7 (The school results from 2nd half of the 8th grade of the school year 2020/21 and the 1st half of the 9th grade of the school year 2021/22 are documented)
4) placed first down to fifth in a regional or district round of a mathematics, chemistry, physics, geography or astronomy competition, or alternatively a competition in Czech language or an equivalent competition announced by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports or by schools (such as the Maths Kangaroo, IT Merit Badge)
5) passing a certified English, German or Spanish language examination at Level A2 and higher (e.g. KET, PET, FIN in DEUTSCH 2, FLYERS)
6) based on the current and documented membership in Mensa Czech Republic (IQ value is greater than or equal to 130)
7) placed in the top 30% of a logic competition organised by Mensa Czech Republic in a regional round at least once in the course of studies at the elementary school
8) based on the decision made by the headmistress of PRIGO Language and Humanities Grammar School by exercising discretion in the recognition of type-equivalent or similar achievements listed in Points 4) and 5), worthy of special consideration
If the applicant has fulfilled compulsory school attendance in the school year 2020/2021, according to Section 1 paragraph 7 of Decree No. 353/2016 Coll., on the admission procedure for secondary education, the school results of the second half of the school year 2019/20 are not part of the evaluation criteria. In this case, for the recognition of the school entrance examination, the school results of the 1st half of the 8th grade of the school year 2019/2020 and the 1st half of the 9th grade of the school year 2020/2021 are always documented in points 1), 2), 3).
You can find more information on our Grammar School here.