Four-year Grammar School
The PRIGO Language and Humanities Grammar School is a secondary school which initiated its activity in 1993 as the first non-state Grammar School in Ostrava and the surrounding area.
The school provides education in the six-year and four-year Grammar School.
Four-year Grammar School – Grammar School programme 79-41-K/41
The programme of the general four-year Grammar School focuses on gifted students who have decided to start studying at a high school after completing the compulsory education at the elementary school. These are students who want to have the typical Grammar-school education but who also want to be specialised in humanities and languages.
The curriculum and the school educational programme can be downloaded here (available in the Czech language only).
Admission requirements for the 1st round
The entrance examination consists of an assessment of the following parts:
1) the result of the uniform (state) entrance examination (max. 100 points)
2) the result of the school entrance examination (max. 900 points).
In total, the candidate can achieve a maximum of 1000 points for the entrance examination. For the part of the uniform (state) part of the entrance examination, the candidate can achieve a maximum of 100 points and for the school part of the entrance examination, the candidate can achieve a maximum of 900 points.
Recognition of the school part of the examination
The entrance examination may be recognized (waived) and the candidate receives the maximum of 900 points without having to sit the General Study Prerequisites test, if the candidate meets at least one of the criteria listed below. In the case of an application for recognition of the school part of the entrance examination on the basis of points 4-8 , it is a necessary condition to attach a Declaration on honour along with required attachments (can be downloaded here).
Criteria for recognition of the school part of the examination
1) the average school results from all subjects in the eighth and the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.4 (for both 8th and 9th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
2) the average school results from all subjects in the eighth or the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.3 (for both 6th and 7th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
3) the average school results of at least the three following subjects (Czech, English, History) in the ninth year of the elementary school did not exceed the value of 1.1 and the total school results from all subjects in the eighth and the ninth year did not exceed the value of 1.7 (for both 6th and 7th grade, only the school results for the first semester are presented)
4) placed first down to fifth in a regional or district round of a mathematics, chemistry, physics, geography or astronomy competition, or alternatively a competition in Czech language or an equivalent competition announced by the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports or by schools (such as the Maths Kangaroo, IT Merit Badge)
5) passing a certified English, German or Spanish language examination at Level A2 and higher (e.g. KET, PET, FIN in DEUTSCH 2, FLYERS)
6) based on the current and documented membership in Mensa Czech Republic (IQ value is greater than or equal to 130)
7) placed in the top 30% of a logic competition organised by Mensa Czech Republic in a regional round at least once in the course of studies at the elementary school
8) based on the decision made by the headmistress of PRIGO Language and Humanities Grammar School by exercising discretion in the recognition of type-equivalent or similar achievements listed in Points 4) and 5), worthy of special consideration
For the school year 2021/2022, the number of students admitted to the 4-year grammar school study programme equals 90. If the number of applications is lower than that, however, the school’s principal may decide by March 8, 2021 not to hold the uniform and school entrance examination and thereby accepting all the candidates. If the uniform entrance examination is not held, the applicant has the right to use both possibilities to sit the uniform entrance examination at the secondary school where he / she submitted his / her second application, as provided by the law.
The uniform (state) entrance exam consists of two didactic tests from a) Czech language and literature (sample for 4-year grammar school here) and b) Mathematics (sample for 4-year grammar school here). The maximum number of points awarded for each of the didactic tests is 50 points. The highest score for the entrance examination is therefore 100 points in the case of error-free answers in both tests. The school part of the entrance examination then consists of a test of General Study Prerequisites – OSP (samples for 4-year grammar school here). Depending on the test result, the candidate can get up to 900 points for the 4-year grammar school. Information about the preparatory courses for the school part of the entrance examination can be found here.
If the candidate is evaluated based on his / her school reports, only the first semester reports from the last two years are presented. If the applicant has not been evaluated in any of the evaluated periods by classification (grade) and only verbal evaluation has been used, the applicant will ask the primary school to provide the equivalent classification (grade). Pursuant to Section 51, Paragraph 3 of the Education Act, a primary school is obliged to transfer verbal evaluation to a classification by grade for the purposes of the admission procedure to a secondary school.
Candidates who take part in the 1st round of the entrance examination will be ranked according to the results of the entrance examination on the basis of the results of both parts of the entrance examination. Applicants who place between the 1st place to the place that corresponds to the order of the applicant who placed last within the capacity announced for the 1st round of the admission procedure for the given grammar school, will be admitted. Candidates who achieve the same score as the last mentioned candidate will also be accepted. In the event that candidates place in the same place, the ranking will be decided on the basis of their school reports.
You can find more information on our Grammar School here.